I'm currently in a funny stupor from the craziness of this past week. My husband was gone at a conference for the week and I was at home with the three girls and my mother-in-law and her sister and her sister's husband (who decided to come up for a couple days, spur of the moment) and then my father-in-law with their blind and deaf dog (who, along with other dogs, I am very allergic to). We went to Disneyland one day, had photos taken at Sears of the little one in the multi-generational christening gown and went out to eat for more meals than we've managed to eat out in the last 6 months all in one week. We've had multiple meltdowns, late nights and sugar. We've made new curtains for the doll house along with tiny rugs, tiny crocheted blankets, tiny quilts and even a tiny doll house dog bed. There were sudden middle-of-the-night blood curling screams that brought me running to the nursery to find everyone fast asleep.
During one of our 'time ins' I asked my 3-year-old why she was feeling so upset and threw such a fit when we were out on our walk. She said, and I quote, "I just don't want them to judge me. They were judging me." Now, honestly, I really don't think she has heard this from me. I know she didn't hear it from my husband. I can't think of who or where she could have heard it this week, and I am so curious to know what she really thinks and means by this. How do you respond? It was hard not to laugh, but I managed in case that could be viewed as "judgment."
One afternoon, I asked the girls what they thought Daddy would tell us he saw when he went snorkeling. I asked if they thought he might have seen Nemo. My 3-year-old thought for a minute and then said, "Maybe he saw clownfish. Nemo's a clownfish."
Our 1-year-old has taken to calling me by something that sounds vaguely like my first name preceded by "Mama." It sounds like "Mama-high-eeee." I've been ignoring it for two reasons, one, I didn't know if I liked it and two, I was curious to see how long she would keep at it. So far, its sticking and I'm quite amused and find myself hoping she'll continue to use this moniker.
The baby is now 3 months old and she has become the best night sleeper ever! She isn't taking any super long naps during the day, but I have never had a baby sleep so well at night. She's also growing up. There are only 213 more months till she's an adult.
With all the craziness, I still don't have our Thanksgiving decorations up. Well, I have the "Happy Thanksgiving" sign up, but in my mind that doesn't count because all I had to do was flip over the "Happy Halloween" sign. I think I might skip the Thanksgiving decorations since we would only have a week and a half left to enjoy them. A sign is good enough, right?
When we picked up my husband from the airport this morning, the girls were so incredibly sweet and happy. They seemed to relax the moment he hopped into the car. He brought them presents and they said thank you without prompting. It was a beautiful reunion. And then, about 15 minutes from home, our 1-year-old threw up all of her chocolate milk.

No comments:
Post a Comment