Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Challenge: Single-handedness

Today is what I consider the beginning of a challenge. Today my husband left on business to Florida for 4 days and 3 nights. I actually am laughing at myself for the big and silly deal I am making of all this. Growing up it wasn't strange for my dad to be away from home for 3 or 5 days at a time, or even over a week at times on big California brush and forest fires. Both of my brothers are firefighters, so my sister-in-law goes days at a time without my brother on a regular basis. When my husband was touring (with a band, before kids), I would have to go weeks and weeks without hugging him. But right now, it seems like such a huge challenge. Here are some of the things I feel contribute to this challenge:

- I'm pregnant, remember?
- We're right in the throws of potty training (Noa has still not pooped since Saturday).
- My parents (who live 5 blocks away) are out of town as well.
- I'm feeling particularly scared of psychopaths this week.
- I have a number of appointments and two energetic children, so I can't very well stay inside, lock all the doors and windows and have the phones' speed dials set to 9-1-1 in order to protect myself from said psychopaths.

Ave, didn't miss a beat reminding me of the challenge. Even before we got out of the airport, she started gagging and throwing up all over herself.

Now, I must admit, I have been pretty darn lucky with the whole throw-up aspect of parenting. Noa spit up a whole lot as a baby, but only threw-up once at 11 months. And this is the first time Ave has ever thrown-up. So, although I know I have been fortunate, I do not feel super prepared for this sort of thing.

I'm not sure if she's sick or if the peach smoothie she had for breakfast was a bad idea. She's napping now, so we'll see how things progress.

In case you were wondering, I did pack his suitcase. He scares me when he puts it off until the last minute.

He also took the camera with him, so no photos for now. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment